Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Post-Christmas Wind-Down Mix

I thought today would be a good day for a mellow, melodic mix for sleeping in, easing off headaches and hangovers, preparing for 2008 whilst recovering from the throttle of Christmas partying.

The Notwist - Consequence

I have been obsessed with this song lately - it is perfect in almost every way, from the soothing piano loop to Markus Acher's sleepy vocals to the sharp thump of the drums that are a constant throughout the song. Best for rainy days, falling asleep late at night, and day-dreaming and the ideal track-number-whatever in the soundtrack to your life. Listen to this song - even if it is the only one you listen to in the last week of 2007, it'll be worth it.

You Say Party! We Say Die - Apocalypse Meow

I feel this song is really appropriate with a brand new year just around the corner. Although it borders on dancey, I still feel like the vocals and consistent drumming are enough to help you wind down at the end of the day. As contradictory as it is, this upbeat, soothing song at barely one and a half minutes needs to be included in your life in some way.

Andrew Bird - Scythian Empire

I'd been putting off exploring Mr. Bird's music for a very long time, and I'm glad I came to my senses and introduced myself to this song. It's eclectic enough to hold your attention and yet calm your nerves the moment it begins to play - mixing whistles, the sound of a grand piano and folky acoustic guitars, echoes, the tinkle of metal and a myriad of other sounds, it reminds me of forests and sweeping landscapes. Perfect for playing on your headphones whilst going exploring or tumbling into good dreams at night.

Recommendations of things to do in addition to listening to the aforementioned songs: stay in bed all day, eat ice cream cake and watch lots and lots of Scrubs. I've tried it, and I have the following to report back: it's awesome.

No comments: